THE CHIMP AND GORILLA PHOTO EXPERIENCE
Arrival day in Entebbe. You will be picked up from the airport on arrival and then driven to our Kampala Hotel for a rest after the long flights. Overnight at Cassia Lodge, meals at your own expense.
Transfer to Kibale Forest NP. We will have breakfast and then travel to Kibale Forest NP, situated in western Uganda. We will have an en route stop for lunch and photography. We should arrive in the afternoon for our 3-night stay at Crater Safari Lodge
Today is a relaxed day to enjoy a Bigodi Wetlands Nature Walk, paddle around the lake in canoes, or just relax at Crater Lodge. After breakfast, we will have a relaxed drive to the Bigodi Wetlands Nature Walk where we will view up to 8 species of primates, especially Colobus monkeys, as well as a number of bird species. We will return for a lunch break and can later go for a canoe ride along the lake. Meals and overnight at Crater Safari Lodge.
Chimp tracking and optional Bigodi Wetlands Walk or canoes. After breakfast, we will drive to the park headquarters for a briefing about the chimpanzee trek after which we will enter the forest, where we will enjoy the sights and sounds of nature as we search for chimpanzees. We will encounter man’s closest relatives in their natural habitat. After tracking, we will return to the Lodge for a lunch break. In the evening you can opt for another Wetlands walk or a canoe ride. Meals and overnight at Crater Lodge.
Transfer to Queen Elizabeth NP & Kazinga Channel Boat cruise. After breakfast, we will drive to Queen Elizabeth NP via the crater lakes of Ndali & Kaseda. The drive is also a game drive, and we may see elephants, kob, topi, and more. We will have a lunch break and relax. At 4:00 pm, we will go for a Kazinga Channel boat cruise where we will view wildlife including Nile crocodiles, the largest concentration of hippos in Africa, buffalo, birds, elephants, and other species. We will cruise by a fishing village, where we may see people preparing the nets for the night’s fishing. We will be back at the Lodge in time for a delicious dinner. Meals and overnight at Enganzi Lodge.
Ishasha Sector Game & Transfer to Bwindi. We will have an early breakfast and transfer to Bwindi with an en-route Game Drive in the Ishasha sector, where we may see elephants, Topi, birds, and if we are lucky, we will see the tree climbing lions hanging in fig trees. We will then head to Savanna Hotel for a lunch break, then continue to Bwindi’s Ruhija sector for our stay at Bakiga Lodge.
Gorilla tracking & Batwa tour. After breakfast, we will head to the park headquarters to be briefed about the do’s and don’t’s of Gorilla Trekking by our Rangers. We will take a packed lunch for the trek. We will head into the forested mountains, where we will meet the rare, endangered Mountain Gorillas. We will spend an hour taking photos, watching their antics and behaviour, and enjoying the presence of beings that are so closely related to us. Later in the afternoon, we will visit the Batwa community, where we will discover more about the local people’s culture. If we have time, we may also visit a local orphanage or school, or enjoy another cultural experience. Meals and overnight at Bakiga Lodge.
Transfer to Kampala.
END OF TOUR.
The Tour includes:
• In-Country Transportation
• Activities described in itinerary
• Airport Pick-up and Drop-off
• Gorilla Tracking Permit
• Chimpanzee Tracking Permit
• Bigodi Nature walk
• Park Entrance Fees
• Kazinga Channel Cruise
• Bottled Water on Safari
• Meals as per the itinerary
• Relevant government taxes
• Full-Time English-speaking drivers and guides
• Photography Instruction from Wasswa Arthur and Kibazzi Pius
• Photographic Equipment (Camera bodies and lenses, available for hire at extra cost)
• Meals in Kampala
• Drinks other than bottled water
• Yellow Fever Vaccinations (required)
• $20 Gorilla Trek Porter Fee (mandatory)
• Personal Expenses
• Trip and Medical insurance (recommended)
• Activities not mentioned in the itinerary
• Anything not mentioned as included
Gratuities Guidelines (This is only a guideline. You may use USD)
• Drivers ($5-10/day, placed in a group envelope at the end of safari)
• Hotel Staff ($3-5/day; place tips in the Staff Box at reception)
• Chimpanzee Ranger ($10-15, depending on the quality of your experience)
• Bigodi Walk Guide ($5-10)
• Canoe Guide ($5)
• Boat Captain ($5-10)
• Gorilla Ranger/Tracker ($10-20, depending on quality of your experience) There will be a lead Ranger, and several assistant Rangers. You may opt to tip them as well, $5-10.
• Porter during Gorilla Trek (hiring at $20 is mandatory, gratuity $10-15 depending on level of assistance) We will stop at a safe ATM prior to departure so that you can get Ugandan Shillings.
We will stop at a safe ATM prior to departure so that you can get Ugandan Shillings.
You will not need a lot, but if you plan to buy crafts at the market or from the communities, or snacks during gas/bathroom breaks, you will want to use shillings.
We have found that taking the equivalent of $50-100 USD from the ATM is sufficient, and any extra can be left as tips before you leave Uganda.